This page is intended to allow MSc/PhD graduates of the UBC Department of Statistics keep in touch with each other and the Department.
The Department of Statistics web site was launched in redesigned format in August 2006. With the redesign, we have added this page on Alumni/Alumnae news. If you would like to stay in touch with your former professors and classmates, please send news (for example, a short paragraph with present position, present email address, personal/academic web page etc) to the email address
New items (dated from most recent)
Lisa Kuramoto, MSc 2002, email Lisa.Kuramoto at vch dot ca,
is working in the Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute; with her supervisor Boris Sobolev, they have published a book entitle Analysis of Waiting-Time Data in Health Research Research --- see book flyer
Natalie Thompson, email natalie.j.thompson at gmail dot com,
is the Bioinformatics Facility Manager at the Peter macCullum Cancer Research Hospital in Melbourne, Australia
H M Mahbub-ul Latif has a 1 to 2 year position at the University of London, Queen Mary (beginning Feb 2008)
A H M Mahbub-ul Latif, MSc 2001 email mlatif at univdhaka dot edu or mlatif at isrt dot ac dot bd
In November 2005, defended PhD thesis at Georg-August-Universität zu Göttingen in Germany. Thesis was entitled "Efficiency and Robustness Issues in Complex Statistical Designs for Two-Color Microarray Experiments". Now in the Institute of Statistical Research and Training, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
James Jianmeng Xu, PhD 1996 email jaxu5 at yahoo dot com
In 2006, left Fair Isaac and joined the eBay company's PayPal division serving as a director of risk strategy and policy, and heading PayPal's financial products risk management and mobile business risk management
August 2006:Joe Kelly, MSc 1996 (Phd 2006); email Joe_Kelly at interVISTAS dot com
- Doctoral degree in Resource and Environmental Management from Simon Fraser University, March 2006 completion.
- Previously consultant with Mansfield Consulting, Arthur Andersen and Kelly & Associates.
- In August 2006, joined the Vancouver office of InterVISTAS Consulting Inc. as Director, Strategic Services.
Ryan Woods (MSc 2000) and Lee Er (MSc 2001) ; email rwoods at hivnet dot ubc dot ca
- Back in Vancouver working at St. Paul's Hospital; Lee as a statistician for the BC Provincial Renal Agency, and Ryan back with the Canadian HIV Trials Network.
- Spent all of 2004 and 2005 in Asia, first working in Shanghai, China as statisticians in a contract research organization, and then travelling and climbing in Southeast Asia, China, and India.
Ying Liu, MSc 1994 email YLiu at choosehmc dot com
Ying and Feifang returned to Vancouver for a holiday in Aug 2006; current position is Sr. Statistician, Health Management Corporation, WellPoint Inc, Virginia, USA.
Feifang Hu, PhD 1994 email fh6e at virginia dot edu
- Currently Associate Professor of Statistics, Department of Statistics, University of Virginia.
- Current research area is Adaptive Designs in Clinical Trials (see seminar 2006 August 15 at UBC).
- Newly published book: The Theory of Response-Adaptive Randomization in Clinical Trials, by John Wiley & Sons, 2006.