Do not contact anyone until you have read all of the information on this page carefully.
For inquiries about the academic aspects of the undergraduate program - contact ugradadv at stat dot ubc dot ca
For inquiries specifically about the application for change to or addition of Statistics specializations - contact latemajorentrants at stat dot ubc dot ca
1. Major in Statistics: if you are a Statistics major currently in year 2, take STAT/MATH 302 in year 2 because this is a prerequisite for other STAT 3xx courses.
2. Students wishing to transfer into the major in statistics from another specialisation or add a minor in statistics are encouraged to follow the advice below and take relevant courses.
Students transferring from another specialisation and wishing to be considered for late entry into a statistics specialisation (excluding Minor in Statistics) can apply online at: https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0MQQzD5Bq1wqtyl Please read the instructions carefully before submitting your application. Applications will be considered in January and in May each year by the reviewing of overall profiles and grades in relevant Computer Science, Mathematics, and Statistics courses. The application deadlines are mid-January and mid-May. Entry to our program is competitive, and you must have completed STAT 200 (or equivalent, introductory statistics) and STAT 302 (or equivalent, introductory probability) before your application will be considered. For any further inquiries, please contact an advisor at latemajorentrants at stat dot ubc dot ca.
3. Transfer into Major in Statistics: if you have transferred to Statistics after year 2 or plan to do so, it is possible to complete the Statistics major in two years provided you have STAT 200, MATH 200, MATH 221 before year 3. The rough plan of courses would be:
- term 1 of year 3: take STAT/MATH 302, Stat 300, Stat 344;
- term 2 of year 3: take STAT 305, Stat 306, etc.
4. CPSC 110 and one of CPSC/MATH 210 for Major in Statistics: take these courses as soon as possible.
5. Admission to the combined Econ/Stat Major program. Please see the Department of Economics for more information. The deadline to apply is May 20th.
6. Minor in Statistics: The requirement for a minor in statistics is 18 upper-level STAT credits, which may include MATH 302 in place of STAT 302. See above for application procedures.
7. For 2019-2020 (and likely for near future):
- STAT 344, 404, 406: offered only in term 1.
- STAT 443, 450: offered only in term 2.
- Stat 300, 305 and 306 offered in terms 1 and 2.
- Stat/Elec 321 offered in terms 1 and 2.
-Stat 302 is being offered in both terms, as well as in the summer
- the required MATH 303 is offered only in term 2.
8. For those interested in the actuarial profession, the applied statistics module of the Society of Actuaries (SOA) can be covered through Validation by Educational Experience (VEE) with the UBC courses STAT 306 and STAT 443.
9. Promotion to Year 3 in Major in Statistics and Combined Major with Statistics: Students must achieve an average of at least 60% on their first attempts in their best 3 of the 5 "named" courses in Year 2. These five "named" courses in Year 2 are: MATH 200, MATH 220, MATH 221, STAT 200, and STAT/MATH 302. STAT 200 (or equivalent) must be completed for promotion to year 3, and STAT 305 and STAT 306 (or ECON 326 for the Combined Major in Stat/Econ) must be completed for promotion to year 4. Please also see the Faculty of Science general requirements for promotion.
10. If you plan to take Stat courses numbered 305 and above, you need Stat 200 (or any introductory statistics course) and Stat/Math 302 (introductory probability). Stat 251 is an introductory course on probability and statistics (so less Statistics than Stat 200 and less probability than Stat/Math 302). Stat 251 is NOT acceptable as a prerequisite (in place of Stat 302) for any Stat course numbered 305 and above, other than ELEC/Stat 321 (Stochastic Signals and Systems).