1) Get the Account ID for the copier from office staff.
2) Login the Win10 computer using StatNet credential.
3) Select printer name: "Xerox WorkCentre 7855 PS". Also check the checkbox "Print in grayscale (black and white)" to save the color toner.
4) Click on button "Properties" you will see the form below. Select the stapling option you want, then click button "OK"
5) Enter the Account ID you get from step 1
There are 2 ways:
- Method 1:
Generate your hashed password here and send to help [at] stat.ubc.ca requesting for a password change
- Method 2: from a terminal window:
$ ssh your_account [at] be.stat.ubc.ca (use your account to replace 'your_account')
$ passwd (type in your current password and then type the new password twice)
$ exit (close your terminal session)
The key is to find the accordion-### for the true URL.
1. Find your way to a FAQ page that includes the QA of interest.
Here is an example using Chrome:
I am interested being a Major in Statistics. How can I apply?
2. When on that page, right-clicking over the FAQ item, select "Inspect".
The tool window will highlight the accordion-### line.
(The 'x' on the top right will close this tool window.)
3. The question sits inside a div with an id of the form accordion-###.
Copy or make note of the four digit code (10142 in the example).
4. Form a URL using this code as follows:
https://www.stat.ubc.ca/node/accordion-###. For the example, it's
https://www.stat.ubc.ca/node/10142. This URL can be shared with the student.
You can setup Outlook/Apple/Thunderbird mail reader to read StatNet email. Remember to disable "Automatic manage connections" on the email client.
Here are the parameters you need to know:
Incoming mail server: imaps.stat.ubc.ca
If using STARTTLS: 143
If using SSL: 993
Mail Folder Prefix: (leave empty)
Outgoing mail server: mailhost.stat.ubc.ca
Port: one of either Ports: SMTP/STARTTLS: port 587
SMTP/SSL: port 465
If there is a choice of authentication methods, LOGIN or PLAIN will work.
UBC OneDrive info/howto:
Basically OneDrive is similar to our ownCloud/Nextcloud or Dropbox services.
You will have 2 ways to access it:
a) Cloud access
Faculty and staff who meet the service requirements will be able to access the tools at https://portal.office.com by signing in with their alias.
Login: firstname.lastname [at] ubc.ca
Password: your CWL password
and going through the UBC multi-factor authentication process.
From there, they can use the web-based versions or download the OneDrive software to install it onto your desktop/laptop locally.
b) Direct access as a local drive on your desktop/laptop
You will need to install an OneDrive software, download after you login "Cloud access", onto your device so it can sync data with the OneDrive on the Cloud.
Please click here to view in pdf
The UBC Faculty & Staff Email (FASmail) service is an enterprise email service for eligible staff, faculty and student employees of the University of British Columbia.
Documentation and References
*Send a request directly to UBC IT by fill in...
The "FASmail Service Request Web Form" (*Ignore "For Departmental Administrators only")
and ask for FASmail mail box with FASmail alias, "firstname.lastname(at)ubc.ca".
*Note: Make sure to supply these options...
Service* [ FASmail User Mailbox ]
Request Type* (x) Add
- User's Email Alias*
(x) firstname.lastname(at)ubc.ca email alias
If you want to forward FASmail to your StatNet email, ask UBC IT do it for you as it's much simpler.
After you have your FASmail setup with an alias email@example.com, notify Assistant to Head (headsec at stat.ubc.ca), so she can add your new alias to UBC Directory.
You can check it here see if it's ready entered or not.
Thunderbird 78 has stopped out of date use of SSLv3 and TLSv1. Here is how to fix:
- Go to Thunderbird -> Preferences -> General (for Windows users: From Home tab, click on the menu button on the top-right corner, select Options -> General)
- At the bottom of the page, click on buton Config Editor…
- Click to confirm "I accept the risk!"
- Scroll down to the line: security.tls.version.min and change value from 3 to 1
- Restart Thunderbird
Incoming Mail Server:
IMAP Mail Sever:
- Server Name: imap.stat.ubc.ca
- Port: 143
- Connection security: STARTTLS
- Authentication method: Normal password
- Or: Port 993 use SSL
Outgoing Mail Server:
- Server name: smtp.stat.ubc.ca
- Port: 587
- Authentication method: Normal password
- Connection Security STATTLS
1) StatNet servers:
Number crunching servers: Access via "ssh" remote login.
Linux servers : Dell R900, 16 CPUs, 16-32Gb RAM. Name after Bugs : Bee and Spider are standalone number crunching.
Virtual Linux servers: 2 CPUs, 2Gb RAM: Gosset1
Cloud Computing: contact us for more detail.
Can only access via SSH.
Software: R, C, C++, Fortran, Matlab 2009a , Java and Stata (Stata only on Gosset1 ).
MacPro servers : 8 CPUs, 8-16Gb RAM. Name after Mountain: Cypress, Grouse, Baker, Seymour: Can access via SSH and its console which located in Research lab lsk303a. You need Secure Card access to enter.
Software: OS Mac OS X Leopard, Same as Linux except R = R64 (64-bit) and Matlab 2009a
SUN Solaris 10 Unix servers: Access via "ssh" remote login.
Be.stat.ubc.ca for pine, mutt, elm and general file management only
Unixlab for IT admin only
2) Ugrad Math/Stat Computer labs
Notes: You can ONLY acess Windows server within StatNet.
Download Microsoft Remote Desktop software for your OS
Mac: Remote Desktop Connection Client 2.1
Windows: Come with all OS
LSK 121: SUN Unix Solaris 10 servers
Server names: Unixlab and Statlab
Software: R, and most opensource packages
LSK 121: Windows 2003 terminal servers
Server names: windows.stat.ubc.ca
Software: Matlab, Maple, MS-Office, R, Octave, OpenBUGS/WinBUGS, TeX/LaTeX, XPP
ESB 1042 and ESB 1046: Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5 workstations
Software: Matlab, Maple, R, OpenOffice and some opensource packages
LSK 310: Windows 7 workstations
Software: Matlab, Maple, MS Office, Lindo/Lingo , R, Octave, OpenBUGS/WinBUGS, TeX/LaTeX, XPP